Using cloth nappies is quite simple once you get the hang of it. Here are some basic steps to get you started:
- Choose your type: There are many different types of cloth nappies on the market, including pockets, all-in-twos, and all-in-ones. Choose the type that best fits your needs and budget.
- Wash before use: Before using your cloth nappies for the first time, it is important to wash them to remove any residue or manufacturing chemicals. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for washing.
- Getting organised: When it's time to change your baby's nappy, gather your supplies. You will need a clean cloth nappy, wipes and a dry pail (wet bag, basket or bucket)
- Changing baby: Place the nappy under your baby and bring the front of the nappy up between their legs and secure it. After putting the nappy on your baby, observe how it fits around the legs and bum making sure it is snug but not too tight. Throw the used wipes with the dirty nappy in a wet bag or bucket until wash day.
- Wash the nappies: When it's time to wash your cloth nappies, follow the manufacturer's instructions. Generally, you will need to pre-rinse, wash on a hot cycle, and hang to dry.
With a little bit of practice, using cloth nappies will become second nature. It's an eco-friendly and cost-effective way to nappy your baby!